Thursday, 5 May 2011

Finished the Triari!

I have finished my first batch of Etruscans and what lovely figures they are to!
They took a while to paint and as you can see I eventually went for the more colourful red and white plumage, which I am glad I did.

These boys are the start of my Republican Roman WAB army and will represent the Triari of the Italian allied legion. Not sure what size to make the unit as I haven't played with the manipular rules yet. I was aiming for 15 but now I am thinking of down sizing to 12 so I can have more units to get the right checkerboard look. After a few games I may well change it if I lose ;0)

I am toying with the idea of making some terrain tiles and what the above figures are standing on is a test piece.
I am happy with the earth colour but not to sure whether to paint grass or glue on static grass? 

Now on to Aventine miniatures to order a few more!!


  1. What Christopher said! The white on the shield is very effective. Michael

  2. Great figs mate - a greta start to your Legion.

    If you are doing a terrain tile to take pictures on, use static grass. If its to game on, use a combination of both to get some variety.

  3. They realy look the part - great work. Somehow, the nonchalant poses make them more threatening.

  4. Hi Steve,

    beautiful unit and a very great painting! I like your earth-colour
    very much! I am starting now with the Pyrrhic-elephants and then the Phalanx. These new Aventine figures are the best I ever seen!
    Have a nice weekend.

  5. Great figs! White shields are always my choice.

  6. Great color combinations!


Hi I have recently had a few comments on old posts that i missed, so to make sure i dont miss anything i have added the moderator settings
thanks for taking the time to comment :o)